James L. McGovern, CPA/CFF, CVA, Fellow
James L. McGovern is a Senior Director in charge of the Litigation Support, Economic Damages, and Contract Accounting practices at The BERO Group. He is a CPA, Certified in Financial Forensics and a Certified Valuation Analyst, also serving as an arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association in cases involving damages and complex financial issues.
Mr. McGovern works as a consultant and expert witness for law firms, corporations, governmental and law enforcement agencies on matters involving complex financial and economic damage issues, including those stemming from contract disputes, intellectual property infringement, business interruption or devastation, and shareholder/partnership disputes. In addition, he has extensive experience assisting federal government contractors with Cost Accounting Standards and Cost Principles compliance and with preparation of requests for equitable adjustment and termination for convenience settlement proposals. In the area contract disputes, Mr. McGovern has analyzed the economic impact to both owners and contractors from delays and disruptions on construction projects through the country. His experience with intellectual property infringement damage analysis includes cases involving patents, copyrights, trademarks, and trade secrets. He is regularly called to testify as an expert witness and has testified in both state and federal courts as well as before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals.
As an arbitrator, McGovern has adjudicated disputes involving construction delay and disruption, business valuation, distribution of profits, and project accounting.
Prior to joining the BERO Group, Jim McGovern was a founding partner of the McGovern & Greene LLP forensic accounting firm. He was also a partner in a mid-size accounting practice, a partner in a boutique litigation/construction claims practice, and a divisional controller at a NYSE traded company.
Active in his local community, as well as professional organizations, Mr. McGovern served as Treasurer for the Village of Oak Lawn, IL and is a Past National President of the National Contract Management Association (NCMA). He has been awarded the title of Fellow by the NCMA, having received its National Achievement Award for Outstanding Service and Commitment to Professional Excellence in 1998. His memberships in various organizations include: NCMA, the Association of International Certified Professional Accountants; the Illinois CPA Society; the National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts; the Intellectual Property Owners Association, and the Licensing Executives Society.
Professional Designations and Certifications:
- CPA; Certified Public Accountant (1987)
- CFF; Certified in Financial Forensics (2008)
- CVA; Certified Valuation Analyst (2008)
- Fellow (1998)
Professional Memberships and Affiliations:
- AICPA; Association of International Certified Professional Accountants
- ICPAS; Illinois Certified Public Accountants Society
- LES; Licensing Executives Society
- NCMA; National Contract Management Association
- Awarded title of Fellow and National Achievement Award for Outstanding Service and Commitment to Professional Excellence (1998)
- Past National President, Secretary and Treasurer
- AAA; American Arbitration Association;Commercial Arbitrator (2000 to 2018)
- IPO; Intellectual Property Owners Association;Damages & Injunctions Committee
- Village of Oak Lawn; Treasurer 2006 to 2013
BA Accounting, Marquette University (1985)